Turns out he grows quite fast, so he had plenty of extra hair to work with. Once again, I took the body down shorter to offset the legs more, touched up the face, feet and ears, and neatened up the headpiece. I did some scissoring, but didn't spend a ton of time as we still had another month to go.

He still needed more hair around his crest and shoulders, to create that flowing slope that is desirable in the German clip. Also, the fancier version involves a very full lower leg in the rear, so his legs needed to grow more. Overall, he was coming along very nicely, another period of growing out would be followed by a full-scissor right before the show.
At this point, it was time to start taking his conformation into consideration a little. His owner took this shot of him squared-off nicely in the yard.

With this shot I was able to see the incorrect angles I'd created in his rear end- the drop-off on his hip bones, and the puff-out underneath, were contrary to the correct squared-off look I was going for.

The front half was looking pretty good, but the rear end definitely needed extra work.
I also spent some time studying up on smaller details: the correct angle of the ear lines as they met the topknot, the slope of the crest, the shape of the tail (some people do a thicker tail as above in white, others shave the tail quite close), the shape of the body and legs, etc. I was ready and waiting for the next session!
No comments:
Post a Comment